Nausea and vomiting of pregnancy or “morning sickness” is one of the most common and bothersome symptoms of early pregnancy. Fortunately, there are a lot of remedies that can help you through this difficult time.
Here are some tips you can try at home:
- Stick to bland foods and avoid fatty and spicy foods
- Eat more frequent but smaller meals. Sometimes any empty stomach can make nausea worse.
- Try drinking frequent but small amounts of clear liquids such as water, carbonated water, ginger ale or lemonade.
- Sour foods and liquids can often help alleviate nausea so try some lemon in your water. Some pregnant people will even suck on a lemon wedge to help!
- Try some aromatherapy! Lemon, mint and orange scents can often help alleviate nausea.
- Try to avoid anything that triggers your nausea. Strong perfumes, hot and humid rooms, sugary foods and excessive exercise can often make nausea worse.
- Try to get a good night's rest. Excessive fatigue can make nausea worse.
- Switch to taking your prenatal vitamin right before you go to sleep or switch to a chewable prenatal vitamin.
- Over the counter medications can often help. Ask your doctor about what medications are safe to take.
If these remedies don’t seem to help, contact your doctor. We can discuss your symptoms and recommend a prescription medication that is right for you.
If you experience any of the following, be sure to contact your doctor or seek care at an emergency room right away:
- Excessive vomiting that prevents you from keeping any fluids down
- Signs of dehydration such as dizziness, dark urine or not urinating as frequently as before
- Severe abdominal or pelvic pain
- Blood when vomiting
- Excessive weight loss
- Fevers and/or diarrhea associated with vomiting
If you are dealing with nausea and vomiting of pregnancy, you are not alone. Help is available, and you can feel better.
Premier OB-Gyn is accepting new patients in both our Maitland, FL and Oviedo, FL locations. We would be happy to see you! Please call 321-397-1212 or visit www.premierob-gyn.com to book your appointment!